[PLUG] Online storage options?

शंतनू shantanoo at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 14:24:28 IST 2013

+++ Mayuresh [17-Nov-2013 20:51 +0530]
| Looking for online storage options with following perspective:
|
| - Main purpose - backup.
|
| - For use with Linux / NetBSD, preferably NFS mountable, less preferably
|   sshfs mountable or at least rsync-able.
|
| - Sharing contents with others over internet is NOT my requirement
|
| - Connectivity with mobile devices (or platforms like Android) is NOT a
|   requirement.
|
| - Plain simple storage service. No bells and whistles like webui, drag and
|   drop and all that is necessary.

I suppose most of the services have API or FUSE or WebDAV export.

| (For above 3 points, if they just come with a service, I won't reject the
| service for that. Just that I don't need them.)
|
| - Reliable uptime. Will be synced at least daily.

Following backup services may be useful.

- - https://www.dropbox.com/ (API: https://www.dropbox.com/developers)
- - https://app.box.com/ (supports WebDAV, API: http://developers.box.com/)
- - http://copy.com/ (API: https://www.copy.com/developer)
- - http://spideroak.com/ (API: https://spideroak.com/code)
- - https://cloud.google.com/products/cloud-storage (API:
  https://developers.google.com/storage/index)

| - (Storage level) encryption necessary: May have sensitive contents.

spideroak - https://spideroak.com/privacypost/
For other services you may have to do the encryption at your end.

| - Free/paid, both ok. I'll assess price suitability separately.
|
| - I haven't arrived at exact space requirements. Roughly it might begin
|   with say 10 GB and may grow in future.
|
| - Preferably some time trusted service or a brand that can be trusted for
|   A. data security and B. will last long.
|
| Hope this is not too much to ask for and such services are available.

If you want to write your own backup service:
- - http://www.rackspace.com/cloud/files/
- - https://aws.amazon.com/glacier/

Some other useful links:
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/