[PLUG] Why I won't be speaking at FOSSsumMIT 2104

aag lists.aa at gdbl.me
Sat Aug 23 12:01:35 IST 2014

On 11 August 2014 15:29, Pirate Praveen <pravi.a at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Today, I prefer to work with a system that 'just works' & I can
> concentrate on
> > utilising Open Source Licensed tool chains and applications to do my
> work.
>
> It would be nice if you can come up with a list of things that don't
> work for you. It would help us to fix those issues for everyone.

Apologies for jumping in late on this discussion. I have been in the same
boat a couple of times. Luckily, it was relatively easy for me to migrate
to a machine made available by the organisers.
I use a Macbook with OSX and do all my development in a headless Ubuntu
Virtualbox VM. I have to use OSX because I need to use GotoMeeting, Skype
group video and on really bad days - MS Office.
With things like virtualisation, the lines become really blur. How far do
we take these appearances? Is it more important than good quality talks and
demos? Is it ok to waste 40 minutes of everyone in the audience while the
speaker scrambles to put a free software facade?
Important questions for organisers to think about for future conferences.

-aag