[PLUG] Please Sign The Petition

pavithran s pavi.eu at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 18:24:15 IST 2015

On 14 April 2015 at 10:24, Vikas Tara <vik at hamaralinux.org> wrote:
> I just thought that their contribution was something to point out in the
> context of this discussion as some people may not know about it.

I don't think their (MS) contribution was worth pointing out . They
are just opportunists who contributed only for Hyper V which is needed
for their cloud business to succeed. How would that be worth pointing
out for a group whose goal is "free software" (assupmtion )  ?

On 13 April 2015 at 14:48, Sudhanwa Jogalekar <sudhanwa.com at gmail.com> wrote:
> Later on, the project halted/shifted from IRC-FOSS(I think they were
> the initial developers). Probably C-DAC is working on it now.

It was NRCFOSS CDAC which started it and they got huge or most of the
NRCFOSS funding chunk and the other department which concentrated on
HRD didn't get much scope or visibility as the fashionable "new Indian
distro" got. Later my knowledge is that they setup BOSS support
centres in all major cities where CDAC was present and explanded
themselves on to the govt sector slowly. I am not so sure how much
success they do have but I wish them all the best.

On 14 April 2015 at 08:23, Arun Khan <knura9 at gmail.com> wrote:
> For reasons cited by others, BOSS will not have any widespread adoption.  In
> it's early days, I installed and used it for a couple of days and switched
> back to Debian immediately.  RHEL/CentOS has more traction among the IT
> folks (including the govt. IT bodies -- thanks to RHCSA/RHCE certification
> programs).

Yes Debian is a lot better and stable distro atleast for us when we
look at the unstable additions which BOSS does. There is a page which
gives more technical details about the differences it has to debian
and these are worth checking out.
https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/BOSSlinux

Regards,
Pavithran