[PLUG] Need information on Linux Compatible Laptops

Mandar Vaze / मंदार वझे mandarvaze at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 12:17:03 IST 2015

On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 12:57 PM, Mayuresh <mayuresh at acm.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 12:29:27PM +0530, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> > If any of you have a new laptop released this year, please add them to
> > h-node.org It is a crowd sourced database, so the more people
> > contribute the more useful it becomes.
>
> Curious whether whether Linux works on a laptop has still remained a
> variable. It's good to be cautious but may be a better approach is to
> select a laptop based on specs - budget consideration and just ensure that
> the chipsets mentioned in the specs are supported on your favorite
> distro's recent version.

+1
Additionally, when I had decided the exact model, I took the "LiveUSB" to
the showroom, booted their windows laptop, and confirmed that "enough"
things worked (Whether WiFi works or not may not be easy in the showroom,
but with WiFi datacard devices, even that should be do-able)

If you tell the sales person that nothing will be altered, they should
allow this (They did, to me)
If it matters, I tried this @ DCC shop near Deccan. They were OK.

-Mandar