[PLUG] Good 20K Laptops for LAMP based web development

Udayraj Bal udayrajb at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 00:01:37 IST 2015

Hi!

I bought Asus X200LA-KX034D for 20500 from Amazon in Feb for
presentation (Now it's 24k+). I have installed Linux Mint 17 with
Cinnamon and LXDE on it. I customized LXDE to use XFPanel and whisker
menu. It looks great and works fast.

Configuration:
1.7GHz Intel Core i3-4010U Processor
4GB RAM
500GB Hard drive
11.6-inch Screen
DOS

Pros:
1. It's light weight (1.8 kg) and has around 4hrs of battery backup.
2. It has 2 USB 2.0 and 1 USB 3.0 port. and Multi card reader as
bonus. The webcam worked great with guvcview, cheese program crashed
quite a few times.

Caveats:
1. WiFi driver is not available out of the box. I had to compile it;
but it was not very difficult.
2. It does not have a DVD-Writer, but I knew that before I bought it.
3. If you are looking forward to install Windows on this then only
windows 8.1 drivers exist officially, that too on a DVD :) Who cares
anyway?

See If you like it.

Udayraj Bal