[PLUG] Need help in choosing new laptop for Linux use.

Atul Sowani sowani at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 10:31:09 IST 2016

Hi,

I want to buy a laptop for me, preferably with Linux pre-installed (Ubuntu
seems to be most popular, though I am a slackware user). HP used to have 4
models with pre-installed Linux, however it appears that they have
discontinued their support for Linux (and those 4 models). There are few
options offered by Dell, but the hardware configuration they offer is
pathetic (don't have HDMI port, and just 1 USB 3.0 port). So far my
searches have yielded no success in finding a good laptop with
pre-installed Linux. I considered option of buying HP laptops with FreeDOS
and then installing Linux (Ubuntu primarily), but google search tells me
that there are issues with wireless card support in those laptops for
Linux. So this option looks risky to me.

Does anyone has any suggestions, specific models which are known to have
good Linux compliance?

Thanks,
Atul.