[PLUG] New Indian ubuntu mirror

shirish शिरीष shirishag75 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 01:06:29 IST 2017

at bottom :-

On 07/07/2017, Sudhanwa Jogalekar <sudhanwa.com at gmail.com> wrote:
> COEP and/or IIIT in Pune could be a good choice in the near future.
> I saw an ad in the newspaper today from COEP for supply of 1000 and 300 meg
> of bandwidth for these organisations.
> God only knows why they need so much of bandwidth. Can be utilised for
> hosting mirrors for sure.
>
> -Sudhanwa

I know most of the hostels have wi-fi access so they may be
downloading stuff, also they do have a 3-d printer so files for that
would be somewhat heavy I imagine, apart from that, yes if they want
they can dedicate bandwidth for mirror hosting.

There was talk couple of years ago to have mirrors of foss distros.
and also make them available via wi-fi to people around campus as well
as radius of around 200 metres or so people could download distros,
updates etc. but the discussion went no-where.

Keeping mirror current and fixing when it goes down is dedicated work,
it's upto the COEP folks and their mgmt. if they want to take up the
challenge.

          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com