[PLUG] Debian 9 Stretch release party

shirish शिरीष shirishag75 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 20:45:28 IST 2017

in-line :-

On 23/06/2017, Dhanesh B. Sabane <dhanesh95 at disroot.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 22 June 2017 01:46 PM, Amey Abhyankar wrote:
>> Curious to know if this install fest also includes 'network install'
>> method.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Amey.

Dear all,

For net-install to work, you can make do with a partial mirror
provided you are fixed on one architecture, say amd-64

https://www.debian.org/mirror/ftpmirror

If however you want to do i386 and somewhat exotic archs such as mips
than a full mirror would be necessary.

Also you should write a small rsync script (should be publicly
available) which does rsync every 12 hours or so and do a small test
on couple of machines seeing if the address is reachable within the
network, outside the network etc.

IIRC both symbi and COEP and wi-fi based nowadays so there would be a
bit of latency compared to wired (I may be wrong here) so whoever in
charge should have a look at all that.

Having participated and done few install-fests I would recommend
having at least 2-3 volunteers who know the whole process (either
CD/DVD/net-install and others) whichever way inside out.

Newbies/new people tend to get stuck in commands, write wrong commands
or don't get correct output  all of which is par of the course. There
also have been many instances of machines malfunctioning, not booting
properly etc.

But before doing all that, please make sure that there are written
permissions in place for formatting of machines and if possible
announce a day or two before to students and teachers about machines
which will be formatted so there are backups.

I'm sure I'm missed some but then others who would be in pluggies
should surely plug any holes :)

          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com