[PLUG] Xeon processor compatibility for Ubuntu

Amey Abhyankar sco1984 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 17:29:09 IST 2018

Hello,

On 24 July 2018 at 15:57, Dnyanraj Mali <dnyanraj.mali at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I want to use older xeon processor(may be with seller warranty) as desktop
> machine. I will be using ubuntu on it.
> Has anyone tried any Xeon processor with Ubuntu?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SupportedArchitectures#Intel_x86
this may help.
Check xeon processor number before buying.

> Can someone recommend me CPU + Motherboard models?

I haven't seen assembled XEON machines.
Specially the older 1's.
Older 1's I know of HP,DELL with Windows Server license & SCSI disks.

> Will it need a separate graphics card?

XEON processors are made for high performance usage i.e. running DB
servers, web servers, application servers & etc.

> Any more points that I need to consider before going ahead with this
> configuration?
> My usage will be typical home usage, will use browsers, PDF reader,
> Libreoffice and VLC player most of the times.

I suggest you to stick to desktop level Intel processor series or
..AMD processor which goes well with Radeon graphics.
Radeon got acquired by AMD some time back but even before that, AMD +
Radeon combination existed.

Or,

if you want different CPU architecture go for Raspberry Pi 3, Banana
Pi or Beaglebone etc.

Some drawbacks of Intel XEON powered workstation =

- XEON based OLD workstation consumes lot of electricity.
- Noisy.
- You'll need proper air conditioning to keep the CPU cabinet cool
else various alarms will disturb your sleep.
- SCSI disks are expensive.

Regards,
Amey.