[PLUG] Joining IRC channels using Riot/Matrix (and some IRC tips)

Gaurav Pant gauravggs at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 12:20:27 IST 2019

Hello Everyone,

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 11:06 AM Tejas Sanap <sanap.tejas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good morning folks,
>
> On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 09:30:32AM +0530, Amey Abhyankar wrote:
> > We need to find a solution which is user friendly
> I think user-friendly is a relative term. Setting up IRC on an android
> device is no different than setting up whatsapp or telegram. I know
> people who think using irssi through ssh on their android phones is not
> difficult, either. I think, what is lacking is *good tutorials*.
> > which will not use too much resources on mobile
> > phone/laptop/desktop/IoT devices etc.
> A normal ZNC instance for 25~30 people can run comfortably on a Pi.
>
> > Many organisations,banks,payment companies use whatsapp/wechat/telegram.
> > Is there any reason why we don't want to opt for these services?
> They are not FOSS nor do they care about our privacy.

Well then we will really need to quit using गुगल and related service and
all other things like Facebook, Youtube etc.

I assume what Amey meant by user friendly is using some tech which will let
people come to us in an easier way.

User friendly is a relative term with respect to the amount of knowledge
and skill you have acquired, so if I say using command line is really
user-friendly does not really justify.

And just because some company using FOSS is respecting you privacy.  Loads
of companies are using FOSS Content Management Systems, collect users data
and probably misuse that.  So with respect to that FOSS and Privacy are not
directly related.
(Please note I am not pro these companies or organizations, just clearing
some misconception)

> Keeping in mind that we are not going to discuss anything very
> > confidential, above options may serve the purpose.
> As members of PLUG, and using tools to do "PLUG" work, we are
> *obligated* to use tools that are FOSS.

Yes we should try to use FOSS or FLOSS tools for all the work we can.  But
More important is to understand the FOSS/FLOSS concepts. People will
automatically obligated to use FOSS.

Loads of People/Companies/Training institutes are using FOSS only because
it is फोकट.

But keep in mind this an entry point.  Back in year 2000 when I came for
first PLUG meet, I came to know about all this through internet and I was
using a Proprietary OS.

> I think, due to the great influx of new users to linux in the past 2~3
> years, has given a boost to the use of proprietary software on the linux
> platform. We can see this clearly with how many distributions now
> provide proprietary softwares in their official repositories. I won't
> deny the fact that many FOSS projects lack the finishing touches that
> proprietary softwares have.
>
> > There will be decline in adopting odd solutions like Riot/ZNC until
> > they are fully mature enough.
> ZNC is mature and stable. It has been in development for the last 15
> years (since 2004). Please check out: https://wiki.znc.in/Providers to
> see how companies and IRC networks are deploying ZNC on large scales.
> We fail to percieve those solutions as "mature" because they are not
> marketed to us in that manner. In terms of support, ZNC has great
> community support. I can vouch for that.
>
> > We wont be seeing any new users at Riot/ZNC sadly.
> I couldn't agree more but that's why we must increase our efforts to
> bring people to IRC instead of opting for other platforms.
>
> > I did a quick survey recently and figured out 99% IT newbies are not
> > aware about IRC nor they use it :-)

That is a fact.

This again brings us back to the good tutorials issue. I think this is a
> point where the folks at `hashtag dgplug` should be commended. Their
> insistance
> on the whole "learn from blogs and blog to teach" model is the right way
> to solve this problem. If, you find that using a software is tricky,
> share whatever you have found through a blog. Even, if you don't
> actually manage to get the software working. What is more amazing is
> that they have proven it works. I know CS and IT graduates who don't how
> to open terminals in linux and think that "ubuntu" is "linux" (and, yes,
> they score very-well in their exams).

This is not just about good tutorials, It also has a major problem how
things are taught to us in our Computer courses. Do not want to go into the
details, but the simplist example is using the term  ppt for presentation
all the time.

Ubuntu == Linux is same old story coming up again is what used to happen 10
year ago i.e. Redhat == Linux.  We (supposedly enlightened FOSS people ;) )
were furious about this, But think again People are at least getting to
know about Linux.   Enthusiasts will surely emerge from these groups.

> > Same for IT techies working at fancy MNC's at Hinjewadi/EON IT Park.
> > They use meetup.com aggressively.
> Yes, that's just sad. But, no good alternatives exist for meetup.com. A
> similar issue can be found with youtube.

# Conclusion

> In the end, a "normal Joe" will look for convinience and will want tools
> that "just work". But, how can we make softwares that are seemingly
> difficult easy? I would give you the example of Neo Mutt. Lord knows,
> configuring neomutt for the first time is a nasty experience. The linux
> youtuber Luke Smith, solved this problem by creating a installation
> wizard for neomutt. You can find it here:
> https://github.com/LukeSmithxyz/mutt-wizard
> (Yes, I am a Luke Smith fanboi).
>
> "All good things take time"

We want "Normal Joe" to join us and use FOSS and yes they want easy
stuff.

Not sure why a Normal Joe would want to use Mutt? Not even sure how many
abnormal Joe's are using Mutt.

Point is Let us keep different Channels open,  Let us leave IRC as IRC and
not make it something confusing and later it becomes IIRC.

Need of the time is organizing more meetups, events and getting together
face to face.

BTW I do appreciate efforts by Tejas, keep up the good work.

Lets have a meetup soon.

--
Dexter