[PLUG] Regarding bitcoin-core 0.18.1 + Docker ce 19.03.4 + Ubuntu 18.04.3

Amey Abhyankar sco1984 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 09:53:52 IST 2019

Hello,

Not sure if we have any Blockchain enthusiasts or developers in our group.
I am facing 1 issue.
Just wonder if anybody facing the same issue.

Goal: Dockerize bitcoin-core to optimise resource utilisation & to
eliminate need to keep open the bitcoin-core GUI in Ubuntu.

Solution: Dockerize bitcoin-core using =
https://bitcoin.org/bin/bitcoin-core-0.18.1/

Issue statement: Unable to send RPC aka 'Remote Procedure Call' from base
machine to docker instance.

Software version's used:

- Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS as base machine
- Docker ce 19.03.4 version
- bitcoin-core 0.18.1
-Local laptop [no cloud/no vmware/no firewalls]

Docker images that I tried:

1) https://github.com/ruimarinho/docker-bitcoin-core/
2) https://github.com/juanluisbaptiste/docker-bitcoin-wallet
3)
https://medium.com/@kay.odenthal_25114/access-bitcoind-instance-inside-docker-container-via-json-rpc-cef25ea32f51

Blockers:

- Remote procedure call aka RPC not working from base machine i.e. Ubuntu
18.94.3
- Unable to telnet bitcoin-core on respective ports from base machine. Able
to telnet other docker instance on same machine without any issues.
- bitcoin-core just runs fine in test mode & in prod mode in docker without
any issue
- I did customisation of bitcoin.conf file to put custom ports & credentials
- Followed the config changes suggested by bitcoin dev team in release
notes = https://bitcoin.org/en/release/v0.18.0#mining

Regards,
Amey.