[PLUG] I wish, I knew this when I started with Vim

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Wed Dec 11 12:09:09 IST 2019

On Mon, Dec 09, 2019 at 12:27:47PM -0800, amarendra godbole wrote:
> With experience, anything that purports to be the true way -- is
> religion, vim is no exception. I believe in using the right tool for
> the job AND having a choice in making that determination. :-)

Of course everybody should have their choice. To me, vim is a choice,
consciously made, not a religion :-) I'd have been comfortable with emacs
or anything that makes me as productive as well. (We can get into
elaborating `productive', but I'm sure members of this list don't need
that kind of discussion.)

Only worry is, people are just too hasty in deciding what is `the right
tool'. More often the basis that `everybody uses that' becomes `the right
tool' for them. So called `user friendliness' often mistaken for learning
curve also dictates. This is not about restricting their choice, it's more
about telling them to open their eyes, give time to evaluate and then make
a choice.

Mayuresh