[PLUG] Idea for a PLUG meetup with Debian Buster Release party

Dhanesh B. Sabane dhanesh95 at disroot.org
Mon Jul 8 22:13:00 IST 2019

Hello,

On 08/07/19 10:17 am, AlphaOmega wrote:
>     I tried to join #pluggies via Riot app.
>     But got kicked out from channel with error = err_needreggednick
>     That means I need 1 more set of credentials :-/
>
> I have this same issue!
> Hence I gave up on Riot. I have a machine running 24x7 (mostly) so I
> just use irssi.

There are two ways to solve this issue. One, as I mentioned in my
previous email, is to group your Matrix nick with your IRC nick.[1] If
you don't have a IRC nick, you can directly register your Matrix nick
too. You can have a look here to understand how it's done -

https://github.com/matrix-org/matrix-appservice-irc/wiki/End-user-FAQ#how-do-i-registeridentify-to-nickserv

The other option is for the operators (OPs) of the channel -

The channel can be set to quiet all unregistered users that join the
channel except for those who join in via Matrix. OPs can have a look
here to understand how it is done -

https://github.com/matrix-org/matrix-appservice-irc/wiki/End-user-FAQ#how-do-i-registeridentify-to-nickserv

I'd encourage the users to opt for the first option and also the OPs to
implement the second suggestion. This will make sure that no one gets
left out.

And while we are on this topic, here's a selfish request -

Can I please get OP status on the channel? Pretty please? With great
power comes great responsibility and I believe I can handle that. :P

Thanks! :)

[1] http://www.geekshed.net/2010/03/grouping-a-nick-why-and-how/

--
Dhanesh B. Sabane