[PLUG] Why folks using IRC are against "cool" and "new" features?

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 11:36:08 IST 2019

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 8:43 AM Tejas Sanap <sanap.tejas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey, folks!
> I use plain IRC and for some reason that I can't explain, love it's
> simplicity. I ran into a blog post today, that presented some
> interesting perspectives on IRC and similar protocols (Matrix).
>
> https://drewdevault.com/2019/07/01/Absence-of-features-in-IRC.html
>
> I guess, IRC is an example of the "less is better, more is worse" case.
> I would love to hear some of your point-of-views.

The IRC/other-medium conversation is best looked at from the
perspective of how software development in FOSS has evolved from
communities to enterprises. In the latter, there are some distinct
benefits to selection of tools that combine
collaboration+notification+communication without much investments.
Looking at IRC vs Slack in the same light of vi vs emacs is good
method to while away time, but in the end, not generally productive.

It would also be pertinent to consider that some of the large projects
eg. Kubernetes etc adopt the established methods of their largest
contributors and this weighs against the continuation of IRC