[PLUG] IRC during an apocalypse

Tejas Sanap sanap.tejas at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 12:56:31 IST 2020

Hey, folks!

(Warning: This is part-rant and part-opinion)

Browsing through the IRC subreddit[1] I ran into an interesting list[2]
of all the reasons why one should still use IRC.

One of the reasons was that IRC is a protocol and all other mediums of
communication are softwares or platforms. The IRC protocol is *always*
going to be around. Slack or Discord or Skype may be gone some day, the
IRC protocol will still be around, even if no one is using it.

Another important part, is the extensively decentralised nature of IRC
networks. The probability of an entire network falling apart is a
really small one almost negligible.

However, my favourite reason that the OP of that post mentioned is how
easy it is to connect to an IRC network. One can do it using very poor
or very old hardware or very weak network speed, and it will still
function decently. This, I think, is very important in during an
apocalypse. I think, we can count on IRC and Radio to have our backs in
such a crisis.

[1]: https://www.reddit.com/r/irc/
[2]: https://www.reddit.com/r/irc/comments/fd801p/10_reasons/?ref=share&ref_source=link

--