[PLUG] Using TV as primary display via HDMI from desktop PC.

Amey Abhyankar sco1984 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 19:24:48 IST 2020

On Sun, 5 Apr 2020 at 01:09, G Karunakar <karunakar at geekgod.in> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I have a desktop PC. Monitor went dead (after 10yrs usage). So I
> have no display for PC now. If it was not for the lockdown, would not
> be writing abt this as would have had a new monitor anyways!.
>
>  Now PC boots fine, and can access it from laptop.
>   I thought I could hook the Sony TV to PC using HDMI cable.
>   I do it .
>     Connect hdmi cable at pc & tv.
>     switch on TV, switch to HDMI mode.
>     switch on PC.
>    But no display on TV.
>
>   Motherboard has onboard graphics ( I had a nVidia card too but
> removed it), There is VGA, Displayport, HDMI .
>   I would assume BIOS has some way to direct display output, but BIOS
> cannot be reached.
>   TV is Sony Bravia 40", R Pi works fine with the TV.
>
> I have a HDMI->VGA adaptor - which I assume is
> no use in current situation .
>  I also had bought a VGA-HDMI adaptor but cant find it (when its
> needed the most! When I bought it I wondered if would every use it!!)
>
>   So I assume now option is to get HDMI output, once kernel has
> booted or X has started. Still searching how to do that.

Which Linux OS & version the desktop PC has?

If you can do ssh to the desktop PC, can you get output of
*interesting* dmesg's related to motherboard and display? [While it is
connected to the SONY TV?]

Also, do tail to /var/log/syslog or /var/log/dmesg and then plug the
HDMI cable to the SONY TV and see the *interesting* logs if any.

Regards,
Amey.