[PLUG] Why folks using IRC are against "cool" and "new" features?

Amey Abhyankar sco1984 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 18:03:07 IST 2020

Hello,

On Tue, 3 Sep 2019 at 08:43, Tejas Sanap <sanap.tejas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey, folks!
> I use plain IRC and for some reason that I can't explain, love it's
> simplicity. I ran into a blog post today, that presented some
> interesting perspectives on IRC and similar protocols (Matrix).
>
> https://drewdevault.com/2019/07/01/Absence-of-features-in-IRC.html

Came across this thread while reading PLUG archives.

I never liked IRC.
Documentation of IRC is really bad for end user.
It was blocked in corporate world in those days due to possible
attempt of spamming/hacking so it remained limited to open source
users.

Now,
I am coming back to the topic from December 2019 i.e.  'The current
and future state of PLUG' & some questions in it.
I don't really remember if we had discussion on IRC at all in past 5~6 years.
Nobody ever gave talk on IRC :-)

IRC really lacked in marketing it's product & features.
I never saw DALNet,EFNet,Undernet folks at any open source conferences
in past 2 decades.
No blogs nothing much really.

Regards,
Amey.