[PLUG] program for taking a image from webcam

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Wed Apr 7 10:20:20 IST 2010

> On 04/05/2010 02:14 AM, Suraj Swami wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to write a code to take a snap from the webcam and store it in .
> > But I am not able to do the basic reading of images. I get all zero value.

There is a command line program called webcam (part of xawtv package) that
may be suitable for your requirements. It can also upload the images to a
remote machine through ftp/other protocols or store them locally. It can
also take a series of images based on a threshold amount of change in the
image.

I'm not sure though ImageMagick and gimp, too, may have some way of doing
this through command line.

(Suggesting command line program because you are trying to write your code
means perhaps you want this ability to be integrated with some of your own
programs. At times it may be easier to wrap an existing CLI tool instead
of writing code at low level.)

Mayuresh.