[PLUG] Cheat Sheet / Quick Start Guide

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Dec 18 18:51:40 IST 2007

श्रीधर नारायण दैठणकर wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 Dec 2007 18:35:20 Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> श्रीधर नारायण दैठणकर wrote:
>>> - A mention that linux has flash player too. This suggestion is willing
>>> to be erased for the spirit of FOSS.. ;)
>> Not necessarily. Gnash and swfdec are Free software flash players.
>
> Tried gnash but it did not work for me. It had many crashes, lockups etc. I am
> running slackware 12.0, VESA video driver and konqueror as my browser. I will
> not recommend it now for sure.

Which version was this? You really should be using the very latest one
to get a feel of improvements since the codebase has changed pretty
heavily over time.

> I Dont know about swfdec though. Never tried it myself.

You could.

> And I don't think flash should be endorsed by FOSS. It is not an open format
> AFAIK. I consider not having flash a feature.. ;) especially with metered
> downloads..

Endorsing and inter operating are two different things. We deal SMB via
Samba or Microsoft Office formats via things like Openoffice.org all the
time. I doubt anybody considers either as a form of endorsement of
proprietary technology or formats.

Rahul