[PLUG] Linux based phones.

Nishit Dave stargazer.dave at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 11:06:23 IST 2007

On Dec 26, 2007 10:55 AM, Pranav Peshwe <pranavpeshwe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>                            Does anybody have any experience of using Linux
>  based smartphones available in the (Indian) market ? Google gives
>  a lot of results, but i would like to know real life experiences.
> Also, how do they compare with 'Windows Mobile' phones ?
>
> Any pointers/links/suggestions would be appreciated :)

I'm currently using a MotoRokr E6, and my experience has been very good.
The phone almost never hangs, has a good feature set (but lacks EDGE
capability), and is not expected to catch a virus.  It has an Opera
min-browser, viewer for common document formats, pdf and images, image
editor, Realplayer, reads standard SD cards up to 2GB.  I use it as an ebook
reader at times.

Battery is OK.  It was one of the first to offer a standard headset jack,
and a mini USB slot for charging as well as access.

It has a very few niggles, the major one being a tiny qwerty on-screen
keyboard for typing messages - there is an alternative ABCD progression
keyboard for searching names etc., but surprisingly it is not available for
messaging.  This being a touchscreen-only phone, not recommended if you like
to use it while driving.