[PLUG] kde4 experience- not so good

Arun Khan knura at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 30 09:28:25 IST 2008

--- On Sat, 8/30/08, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> It probably wouldn't have taken much time but this is a
> rewrite and
> feedback helps. How many bug reports have you filed?

On principle I agree with above, but IMO KDE4 should have been released only when it had basic functionality in place vis a vis KDE3.x.

I have been a KDE user since way back circa 1997 but lately I switched to GNOME as I see KDE4 as a regression (functionality wise).

For instance, the "KDE 4 panel."  Place it on the top and it does not adjust the desktop icons accordingly.  The cropping of the clock font is more noticeable. In my experience, the only place it works OK is at the bottom of the screen.  There too try adjusting the font for the clock.  There is no adjustment for font size unlike KDE 3.x.  The default size looks ugly because the bottom 1-2 pixel gets cropped.  Configure date in this applet and it appears like legal fine print!

Sure, we can write bug reports on these but should not they have been caught during unit/integration testing?  These are basic HMI issues.

Arun Khan