[PLUG] KMail messup!!

श्रीधर नारायण दैठणकर ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Thu May 8 09:21:29 IST 2008

On Wednesday 07 May 2008 18:00:42 ഓം wrote:
> but i would be a really good feature for KDE to automagically convert
> old KMailRC into the new *avatar*.  And if I go and ask for it in
> bugzilla.kde.org, they would treat it as a new feature and would be
> put under different category that has lower priority since it may not
> be a sh0wstopper!
>
> How's that for a simplified analysis of the usual situation, the way
> most systems work?

I would say yes. Maintaining compatibility between versions and seamlessly
upgrading is sometimes challenging and some of those time, even impossible. I
had dealt with some really really nasty bugs in such cases personally.

May be I am not using any new kmail features.. because my kmailrc(heck the
entire ~/.kde) is like 5 years old.. :) But at one time, I remember, kmail
explicitly asked me to convert the config. to a new format.

In general, I am very glad with kde, the way configuration remains the same
over the years. Nothing breaks, things just keep chugging. I know how hard it
is to attain it.

 Shridhar