[PLUG] Unable to play .WMV files.

Shrikant Mundlik shrikant.vm at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 14:23:02 IST 2009

> Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 23:05:30 +0530
> From: vaibhav <vaibhav.khante at gmail.com>
> Subject: [PLUG] Unable to play .WMV files.
>
> Dear All,
>                I'm using Fedora 10 on my P4 machine. I have 2 queries.
> a) I use 'startx' when logged in as root, and then i'm unable to open vlc
> player. It works well when logged in by any other user. Can't it be opened
> using 'root' ? My vlc version is "VLC version 0.9.9 Grishenko"
> b) I'm trying to play .wmv files but unable to do so. I've tried using VLC
> and RealPalyer11. but it gives following error:
> "The file contains an unsupported video format. The needed codec is not
> installed on your system.(This clip contains Windows Media Video Screen,
> which is currently unsupported.)"
>  I tried searching google and found 'mplayer' can play it, but was unable
> get .rpm package for the same.
> (As i'm new to linux, i know only rpm cmd to install new utilites)
> Thanking all in advance.
> --Vaibhav
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Hi Vaibhav,

for mplayer u need following rpm to install mplayer , mplayer-gui if u need
GUI, and binary codec essential to support most of video format. u can get
these file from below link
mplayer
1)
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/releases/10/Everything/i386/os/mplayer-1.0-0.102.20080903svn.fc10.i386.rpm

mplayer gui
2)
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/releases/10/Everything/i386/os/mplayer-gui-1.0-0.102.20080903svn.fc10.i386.rpm

also need to download binary codec
3)
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/essential-20071007.tar.bz2

use following command to install rpm as root
# rpm -ivh filename.rpm

for installation of essential-20071007.tar.bz2
extract tar.bz2 file using
*tar* xvjf essential-20071007.tar.*bz2*
then change dir to extracted and run these command

./configure
make
make install

u can get additional information on http://www.mplayerhq.hu