[PLUG] Unable to play .WMV files.

K.V.RAJEEV kvrajeev at npcil.co.in
Wed Aug 5 08:49:43 IST 2009

>> Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 23:05:30 +0530
>> From: vaibhav <vaibhav.khante at gmail.com>
>> Subject: [PLUG] Unable to play .WMV files.
>>
>> Dear All,
>>                I'm using Fedora 10 on my P4 machine. I have 2 queries.
>> a) I use 'startx' when logged in as root, and then i'm unable to open vlc
>> player. It works well when logged in by any other user. Can't it be opened
>> using 'root' ? My vlc version is "VLC version 0.9.9 Grishenko"
>> b) I'm trying to play .wmv files but unable to do so. I've tried using VLC
>> and RealPalyer11. but it gives following error:
>> "The file contains an unsupported video format. The needed codec is not
>> installed on your system.(This clip contains Windows Media Video Screen,
>> which is currently unsupported.)"
>>  I tried searching google and found 'mplayer' can play it, but was unable
>> get .rpm package for the same.
>> (As i'm new to linux, i know only rpm cmd to install new utilites)
>> Thanking all in advance.
>> --Vaibhav
>>

>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Hi Vaibhav,
>
>for mplayer u need following rpm to install mplayer , mplayer-gui if u need
>GUI, and binary codec essential to support most of video format. u can get
>these file from below link
>mplayer
>1)
>http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/releases/10/Everything/i386/os/mplayer-1.0-0.102.20080903svn.fc10.i386.rpm
>
>mplayer gui
>2)
>http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/releases/10/Everything/i386/os/mplayer-gui-1.0-0.102.20080903svn.fc10.i386.rpm
>
>also need to download binary codec
>3)
>http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/essential-20071007.tar.bz2
>
>use following command to install rpm as root
># rpm -ivh filename.rpm
>
>for installation of essential-20071007.tar.bz2
>extract tar.bz2 file using
>*tar* xvjf essential-20071007.tar.*bz2*
>then change dir to extracted and run these command
>
>../configure
>make
>make install
>
>u can get additional information on http://www.mplayerhq.hu
>
>Regards,
>Shrikant Mundlik

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
	I also faced multimedia problem while using Fedora-7.I un-istalled everything and reinstalled everything with the rpm from livna repository.

	1.Upgrade qt
	2.re-install xine
    3.re -install  amarok, totem etc.

Best regards.
K.V.RAJEEV
kvrajeev at npcil.co.in
2009-08-05

Disclaimer:

This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the addressed individual or entity.  It contains information that is confidential and protected from disclosure. It must not be printed, read, copied, disclosed, forwarded, distributed or used (in whatsoever manner) by any person other than the addressee. Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying is strictly prohibited and may constitute unlawful act and can possibly attract legal action.

Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

If you have received this message in error, you should destroy this message and may please notify the sender by e-mail.
Thank you.