[PLUG] IMAP server directory setting in kmail

Shridhar Daithankar ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Wed Aug 5 10:05:53 IST 2009

On Wednesday 05 August 2009 09:44:04 Kaustubh Gadkari wrote:
> The IMAP account that I am trying to setup is for my department email.
> When I setup kmail, it downloads the entire contents of my department
> account's home directory.
> I did find a fix for this: I had to configure the personal namespace
> to the full path of my mail folder (I had to set the namespace to
> /path/to/home/directory/mail). and delete all other namespace entries.

I have a local imap dovecot server running for email backups(so that my mail
dir. doesn't clog /home and backups) and I don't have this issue at all.

This could be the issue of server side config, probably one that thunderbird
knows how to side step.

Looking at my dovecot config, I have

mail_location: maildir:/mnt1/shridhar/dovecot/%u

Which drops each user in a separate dir. Maybe this setting is not correct
with your server?

I think following settings in kmail could be relevant to you.

- show subscribed folders only
- show locally subscribed folders only
- namespaces

Some combinations of these options might work for you.

Good luck :)

--
 Shridhar