[PLUG] Unable to play .WMV files.

Ameya Rahane ichbinfes at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 08:53:23 IST 2009

> From: vaibhav <vaibhav.khante at gmail.com>
> To: sundaram at fedoraproject.org
> Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 09:03:03 +0530
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] Unable to play .WMV files.
> Hello All,
>               Today i tried installing xine using following:
> " yum install xine
>       xine-lib-extras-freeworld
>       gstreamer-plugins-ugly
>       gstreamer-plugins-bad
>       gstreamer-plugins-bad-extras
>       gstreamer-ffmpeg"
>
> It installed xine successfully. But while playing .wmv file it give
> following error:
> " The stream 'file://root/Desktop/abc/xyz.wmv used and unsupported codec:
> Video codec: Unavailable (MSS2)
>  Start playback anyway?  yes  no"
>
> could anyone please suggest wether .wmv files can be played?
>
> --Regards
> Vaibhav

Vaibhav,
Did you playing the file as a non-root user? Some players have issues
with playing WMV2 players.
Try sudo apt-get install -y gstreamer-plugins-ugly-multiverse
gstreamer-plugins-bad-multiverse

Also add the medibuntu repository on your Linux, it should work.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

I don't know if it is only VLC that has issues with root account, or
are there other players who too do not play certain files.

Ameya