[PLUG] Help in LDAP; Users can change their password

Ashwin Tumma ashwin.tumma23 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 13:56:21 IST 2009

Hello,
We are students of College of Engineering, Pune and are setting up our
labs with Ubuntu 8.10 with LDAP (i.e. Allocating User accounts to
every student in the department). We also need to integrate this with
the Moodle that has been set up.

We had tried this previously, but due to some technical difficulties
we had to restart our work.
Now, the problem that we are facing is, of PASSWORD CHANGED.

What we have done :
	- Softwares Installed Successfully on Ubuntu 8.10:

		Bekerley DB db-4.7.25
		OpenLDAP openldap-2.4.16 Stable Release
	- Created and added hierarchy.ldif, group and all useraccount files to slapd
	- Configured LDAP Clients with libnss-ldap and LDAP Version 3

			Here are some of the config. files
			1. /etc/ldap/ldap.conf
					base 	dc=coep,dc=org,dc=in
					uri 	ldap://10.1.11.48

			2. /etc/pam.d/common-account
					account required        pam_unix.so broken_shadow

					account sufficient      pam_succeed_if.so uid < 500 quiet
					account [default=bad success=ok user_unknown=ignore] pam_ldap.so
					account required        pam_permit.so

			3. /etc/pam.d/common-auth

					auth    required        pam_env.so
					auth    sufficient      pam_unix.so nullok try_first_pass
					auth    requisite       pam_succeed_if.so uid >=500 quiet
					auth    sufficient      pam_ldap.so use_first_pass

					auth    required        pam_deny.so

			4. /etc/pam.d/common-password
					password        requisite       pam_cracklib.so try_first_pass retry=3
					password        sufficient      pam_unix.so md5 shadow nullok
try_first_pass use_authtok

					password        sufficient      pam_ldap.so use_authtok
					password        required        pam_deny.so

			5. /etc/pam.d/common-session
					session required        pam_limits.so
					session [success=1 default=ignore] pam_succeed_if.so service in
crond quiet use_uid

					session required        pam_unix.so
					session optional        pam_ldap.so

			6. /etc/nsswitch.conf
					passwd:         compat files ldap
					group:          compat files ldap
					shadow:         compat files ldap

					hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
					networks:       files

					protocols:      db files
					services:       db files
					ethers:         db files
					rpc:            db files

					netgroup:       nis

	- The user logins are successful, but when we try to change the
password of the user using the 'passwd' command, the following error
occurs,
			passwd: Module is unknown

			passwd: password unchanged

	We need to allow users change their passwords, by some means, because
these same accounts will also be working with Moodle.
	Tried searching a lot over the net, but didnt find required
solutions. Kindly Help us in this.

Ashwin Tumma
T. Y . B. Tech (Computer)
College of Engineering,Pune