[PLUG] Problem with installation of Linux

Rajendra Sakpal rajendrasakpal.list at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 18:36:37 IST 2009

Hi Friends,

I am new to Linux installation & trying to install Red Hat 8 that is shipped
with the book "Official Red Hat Linux User's Guide".  The installation is
stalling in the initial step.  Following is the console output beyond which
the installation doesn't seem to proceed even after waiting for several
(30-45) minutes.  As per the installation instructions, I should expect a
Welcome screen for the installation once I choose the mode of installation
i.e. graphical or text.  I tried to install in both graphical & text modes.
However, the end result was same.

I need some help to go ahead with the installation.  Could you please help
me with pointers to resolve the installation issue?

Console Output:

Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.31

ide: Assuming 33 Mhz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus =
xx

PCI_IDE: unknown IDE controller on PCI bus 00 device fa, VID=8086, DID=3a20

PCI_IDE: chipset revision 0

PCI_IDE:  100% native mode on irq 11

ide0: BM-DMA at 0x2130-0x2137, BIOS settings: hda: PIO, hdb: PIO

 ide1: BM-DMA at 0x2138-0x213f, BIOS settings: hdc: PIO, hdd: PIO

PCI_IDE: unknown IDE controller on PCI bus 00 device fa, VID=8086, DID=3a26

PCI_IDE: chipset revision 0

PCI_IDE:  100% native mode on irq 10

ide2: BM-DMA at 0x2110-0x2117, BIOS settings: hde: DMA, hdf: PIO

ide3: BM-DMA at 0x2118-0x211f, BIOS settings: hdg: DMA, hdh: PIO

hdg: ST310005528AS, ATA DISK drive

[Please correct me if I have missed anything in following the protocol for
posting message on the list.]

thanks in advance,
Rajendra