[PLUG] Whether to choose ext3 or ext4

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Sat Nov 20 12:50:31 IST 2010

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 11:57:59AM +0530, Ghodechhap wrote:
> and I still recommend btrfs :) You can snapshot the data and access it at
> will. Something very important for backup drive.

Thanks for ext3/ext4 info.

Hmmm.. Looks like btrfs is the way for future. I am a little cautious late
adapter may be !

Also, I have slightly old fashioned view about snapshots. A lot of content
to be backed up consists of files that do not undergo change. For those
that do I'd rather opt for a revision control and backup my revision
control repository.

Whether above view is good for one would also depend on the scale on which
you are backing up things - whether it's a small personal computer setup
or an industrial scale server.

Will be nice to know more views on this.

Mayuresh.