[PLUG] Whether to choose ext3 or ext4

Ghodechhap ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Sat Nov 20 17:13:12 IST 2010

On Saturday 20 November 2010 12:50:31 Mayuresh wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 11:57:59AM +0530, Ghodechhap wrote:
> > and I still recommend btrfs :) You can snapshot the data and access it at
> > will. Something very important for backup drive.
>
> Thanks for ext3/ext4 info.
>
> Hmmm.. Looks like btrfs is the way for future. I am a little cautious late
> adapter may be !
>
> Also, I have slightly old fashioned view about snapshots. A lot of content
> to be backed up consists of files that do not undergo change. For those
> that do I'd rather opt for a revision control and backup my revision
> control repository.

Depends. Some things don't adopt to revision control. e.g. photos that I have
shot in past 5 years have accumulated to 20GB. in mercurial, that would waste
another 20GB for repo + 20GB for working copy, even without a single change.

I admit that even I do not use snapshots on btrfs. The only time I have needed
the backup restore was when I was moving between machine and instead of
rsyncing 10+GB, untarring was easy.

> Whether above view is good for one would also depend on the scale on which
> you are backing up things - whether it's a small personal computer setup
> or an industrial scale server.

:) My personal machine has about 80GB of data that I care about and duplicated
on 2 drives. on my $DAYJOB, thats about 700GB spread over 20 people, not
counting any repo.

So the scale is about the same if you ask me.
--
Regards
 Shridhar