[PLUG] Buffalo routers, anyone tried?

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Tue May 17 00:46:53 IST 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 10:17 PM, Mayuresh <mayuresh at acm.org> wrote:
> Has anyone tried a router from Buffalo? Can provide some feedback?

I have installed 3 WHR-HP-G300N at a client site.  BTW this is the
only model that supports DD-WRT for the Indian market (I did pre
purchase check with their India tech support).  The default Tx power
is 20 dBm.   At this setting I believe it suffers from heating
problem.   The SSID would disappear after a few hours of operation or
connection would drop.   The sweet spot seems to be 15-16 dBm - lost
coverage area but the units are stable.

> Thing I like about these is, they are pre-loaded with DD-WRT open source
> firmware.

The WHR-HP-G300N imported in India comes with the "User Friendly"
firmware factory installed.  The CDROM has the DD-WRT firmware which
can be flashed via the web interface.  The version number is higher
than what is available on DD-WRT web page.

> Also let me know a shop where this may be available. (Tried hard. None of
> those I tried had this one.)

Go to Buffalo's web site and search for retailers.  That is how I
found Hallmark their Mumbai retailer.
<http://www.buffalo-asia.com/cgi-bin/wheretobuy/retailers.cgi?country=id>

> I want to buy one with USB interface for storage. Am evaluating Linksys
> E2100L, WRT160NL and Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH which have this feature (among
> others).

The E2100L was not available in India when I checked 4 weeks ago.  The
specs look good.  Your best bet would be to get it through some one
who is doing US>India trip - you may not have any warranty on that
unit.

--
Arun Khan