[PLUG] Help required - system administration from basics

Shyamgopal Kundapurkar kundapurkar at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 11:24:17 IST 2012

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 8:32 AM, Sunil Beta Baskar <betasam at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I don't know whether this is the right way to ask help from PLUG. But
> want
> > to learn administration both network and internet connectivity. I am
> using
> > Ubuntu from almost 2 years but want to learn networking in linux from
> > basics. If any one can guide me, please give me the links or contact of
> > person who can help me.

1) If one feels intimidated about the "right way" to ask help on PLUG, we
need to change something. Thats not what PLUG was setup for.

2) Now to answer Rohini's question:

   2.1) If you want to learn fundas of networking so that you can configure
networking on Linux machines in Prabodhini, **first** book to start with
would be Craig Hunt's seminal book:
http://www.flipkart.com/tcp-ip-network-administration-3-ed-756-pages-hunt-8173664676/p/itmdyu7ncqk5mvdn?pid=9788173664670&ref=27ce54f5-3f6b-4a1e-a6f3-2d798e54bbe6

  2.2) After you read the above book, choose a Linux flavour you want to
install and read documentation specific to that Linux flavor. For example,
if I chose to install Ubuntu Gnu-Linux server ver 12.04LTS, I would start
by looking up this: https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/serverguide/index.html

  2.3) If you want to teach a formal "Networking fundamentals and
programming" course (1 sem), then you should read the book pointed out by
Aditya (Andrew Tanenbaum) and then these two books: (both vol 1 and 2)
http://www.flipkart.com/unix-network-programmingthe-sockets-networking-api-812032823x/p/itmdytcz7jpfk49y?pid=9788120328235&ref=10c80231-89e9-4a3e-bb9d-02c9929d93e5

 2.4) Finally, if you want to work on Linux networking stack internals,
this book is indespensible:
http://www.flipkart.com/understanding-linux-network-internals-8184040768/p/itmdyusdu9waymgg?pid=9788184040760&ref=2007d30a-ea48-4910-aa46-04b0ca152e59

Hope that helps.

warm regards,