[PLUG] Network Attached Storage - Linux experience

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Mon Sep 17 17:18:38 IST 2012

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 04:10:36PM +0530, Vikas Damodar Garud wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for NAS for my home use.  I want to store data so that it may be
> accessed through multiple devices - laptops and smart phones through WiFi

For a similar requirement I purchased a router with USB port - WRT160NL.
Though I had another router, this one besides serving as nas came handy as
a range extender also making internet connection reach every corner of the
house.

I use ext2 formated disk, which is supported by DD-WRT, though not out of
the box.

NAS (whichever way done) is very attractive for homes. One of my favorite
applications is a cron job on my mobile phone that wakes us up to one of
the randomly chosen song sequences from a huge music collection dumped on
1TB sized NAS.

Movies, photos etc. too, go to NAS and can be viewed on TV using mobile's
video out, without any bulky devices in picture anywhere.

Mayuresh