[PLUG] [Event Report] GNUnify 2013, SICSR, Pune, India, February 15-17, 2013

Shakthi Kannan shakthimaan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 09:19:59 IST 2013

Hi,

GNUnify 2013 [1] was held at Symbiosis Institute of Computer Studies
and Research (SICSR) [2], Pune, Maharashtra, India between February 15
to 17, 2013. I attended day one of the unconference.

The first talk that I listened to was by Oyunbileg Baatar on
"Screencasting Demos and HowTos". He mentioned the various free/open
source, desktop recording software available. He also gave a demo of
recordMyDesktop [3], and video editing using PiTiVi [4].

After a short break, and a formal introduction, I began my session for
the day - "Introduction to GCC" [5]. Fedora 17 was installed in the
labs for the participants to use. I started with a simple hello world
example and the use of header files. I also explained the concepts of
compilation and linking, and briefed them on the syntax of Makefiles.
Examples on creating and using static and shared libraries were
illustrated. We also discussed the different warning and error
messages emitted by GCC. The platform-specific and optimization
options were shown with examples. Students were not familiar with
touch typing, and I had to demonstrate the use of Klavaro [6] typing
tutor.

The preliminary round for the programming contest was held in the
afternoon. Thirty questions on C and systems programming were given to
the participants to be answered in thirty minutes. I helped evaluate
the answers. The practical test was to be conducted the following day.
Thanks to Neependra Khare [7] and Kiran Divarkar for organizing the
programming contest.

I also attended the OpenStack mini-conf session in the evening where a
demo of OpenStack was given by Kiran Murari. This was followed by a
session on "OpenStack High Availability" by Syed Armani. Aditya
Godbole's closing session for the day on an "Introduction to Ruby" was
informative. Few photos that were taken are available in my /gallery
[8].

Regards,

SK

[1] GNUnify 2013. http://gnunify.in/