[PLUG] Monthly PLUG meeting on 3rd August, 4pm @SICSR

Manjusha Joshi manjusha.joshi at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 22:35:17 IST 2013

Hello,

A few updates about talks:

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 8:04 AM, Manjusha Joshi <manjusha.joshi at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,*
>
> *PLUG meeting for month of  August  2013 is scheduled on coming  Saturday
>  3rd August, 4:00 pm @ SICSR
>

> These are the details:
> Location: SICSR, Atur Centre, Model Colony, Pune
> Room No 704, 7th floor ( room no. may change )
>
> Time: 4:00 pm (Note the change in the timing)
>
> Tentative Agenda:
>
>  1) Talk on Mozilla Firefox plugins  and    demo of  Firefox OS on mobile
> : Priyanka Nag

 *Firefox add-ons- *(20 mins)

   - What are firefox add-ons? Why are they useful?
   - How to install and enable an add-on?
   - How to disable extensions, themes, and plugins?
   - How to remove extensions and themes?

Reference site: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

*Firefox OS-* (15 mins)*
*

   - An overview
   - Some information about the current status of the OS
   - About the manufacturers and supporters
   - A live feel of the Operating system

Reference site: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/partners/

*QAs* (5-10 mins)

>  2) Talk  and discussion on  Idea of  Open Source incubator (business
>  model based on open source) : Mr.   Ashok Saraf (30 mins)

Abstract:

Free and Open source software can become an engine of growth for local
Indian market of IT based services as we have a very large requirement in
our economy for many applications which can not be met with expensive
proprietary solutions. Applications like ERP, Product Lifecycle Management,
Project Management, Quality Management, Customer Relationship Management
are required in each and every commercial establishment. Issue trackers and
knowledge Management Systems are required in every organization. There are
many good opensource solutions available already for such applications.
There is need to customize them for Indian requirements and also need to
provide distribution and maintenance mode support besides adding new
features in such solutions.

The proposed Open Source Software Business Incubator would host
entrepreneurs interested in this  business space. The business models could
be of two types, back end development support services business wherein,
the offering would be distro , training, documentation and problem solving
support to tier 1 IT service provider would be for more software
development type businesses. Second business model would be to actually
offer solutions in form of installation, user training , support , updates
and back up / restore services.

--
Manjusha