[PLUG] live distro & wi-fi connectivity

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 13:06:29 IST 2014

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 8:47 PM, pavithran s <pavi.eu at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13 October 2014 11:32, jayant ogale <jaogale at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
>> i have tried many live distros. but in all distros i could not get wi-fi connectivity.
>> in all distros, only wired broadband connectivity was possible.
>> do you know any live distro with auto detectable wi-fi connectivity?
>> thanks,
>
> Wow what a strange question ? All the distro's these days will support
> Wireless :P
> Anyways the problem here might be your wireless card , I am guessing
> its a laptop which is misbehaving.
> as harish said the card name can be found with the lspci command.

+1.  Last year I bought a Lenovo U310 ultrabook.  I tried Live
sessions with Fedora, Ubuntu and openSUSE,  every device, wired,
Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, USB3, , display with power management, and touch
screen worked without any tinkering.

> Try some latest ubuntu / mint it should work by default , I am
> guessing yours is a very new card . Well its all up to guesses untill
> you tell what it it.

Sometimes, installing the firmware for the Wi-Fi card does the trick.
Check the *firmware* package names for the distro.

-- Arun Khan