[PLUG] tor browser

shirish shirish at hamaralinux.org
Thu Aug 13 22:43:47 IST 2015

at bottom :-

On 08/13/2015 01:35 PM, jalinder jag wrote:
> No technology is 100% full proof and shouldn't  be made. Evil people are
> out there... I am a security consultant and use tor on regular basis some
> black market and underground forums  works only on Tor..
>
> Jalinder......

Hi all,

As per my base, naive understanding (and I did read a whitepaper or two
on tor) the concept is simple, you basically share your IP with a relay
from whereon, your connection is encrypted till it hands over to another
relay and finally to the server which you want to access.

The server thinks that you are based in an another place than you. So
for the 300+ websites that the govt. has banned for porn and then
adjusted to saying 'porn-like and porn and other things' you can visit
them.

There are and will be vulnerabilities in all software and a bit more
with Firefox because it has lot of legacy code. The Mozilla people
doesn't have enough coders who have enough history with the software, so
they probably add to the code more than they cut/delete. This is
probably the same in free and commercial software.

So vulnerabilities are and always be there, it's a fact of life, so get
used to it.

As far as jaldir's statement is concerned, I don't think it's just evil
men who use TOR, it is used by people who value privacy. Now if it
happens that criminals are using TOR then you cannot blame the system.

You and I know that criminals are and have used banks to white-wash and
launder their money and do all sorts of things. It is happening even
now, now do we blame the banking industry, same goes for the cargo
shipping industry.

As always, don't shoot the messenger :)

<snipped>

Shirish Agarwal,