[PLUG] Need information on Linux Compatible Laptops

Inkar Nation look.kool at guruvision.com
Thu Jun 25 20:33:15 IST 2015

> On Thursday 25 Jun 2015 12:17:03 PM Mandar Vaze / मंदार वझे wrote:
>

> On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 12:57 PM, Mayuresh <mayuresh at acm.org> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 12:29:27PM +0530, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> > If any of you have a new laptop released this year, please add them to
> > h-node.org It is a crowd sourced database, so the more people
> > contribute the more useful it becomes.
>
> Curious whether whether Linux works on a laptop has still remained a
> variable. It's good to be cautious but may be a better approach is to
> select a laptop based on specs - budget consideration and just ensure that
> the chipsets mentioned in the specs are supported on your favorite
> distro's recent version.
>

> +1
> Additionally, when I had decided the exact model, I took the "LiveUSB" to
> the showroom, booted their windows laptop, and confirmed that "enough"
> things worked (Whether WiFi works or not may not be easy in the showroom,
> but with WiFi datacard devices, even that should be do-able)
>

> If you tell the sales person that nothing will be altered, they should allow
> this (They did, to me) If it matters, I tried this @ DCC shop near Deccan.
> They were OK.
>

> -Mandar

For those on Linux for whom DataCard does not work. Take the huawei dongle
which works directly from power outlet on wall & then use Wifi of your laptop
to connect with the world through it.

Just a suggestion. I have not used it, but it should work because it works
like a standalone wifi router. Whether you put it on your Laptop USB or Wall
power outlet should not matter.

--
Consultant Spirituel
GuRuV!SiON