[PLUG] debian 8.x woes...

In Car Nay Shun look.kool at guruvision.com
Tue Aug 16 11:29:40 IST 2016

I have a debian desktop at home, which is mostly used by my school going
daughter. She is happy using Linux.  Quite used to it now.

We have removable USB drive permissions problem that I am not able to quickly
solve (for last few months).

It always mounts the USB stick in root user. So deleting/renaming (or copying
to) anything on pendrive is a problem.  we are living with this problem ever
since we switched to debian quite a few months back.

/etc/fstab does not have entry for usb pendrive/removable devices.

I tried adding her user name to netdev & dialout groups but that did not help

Would love to get more pointers to solve the problem.

==========0=0=0=0=0=======
little bit of background

When I installed debian 7.x/8.0 on the same machine long time back it removed
the graphical login, so we were using it by first logging into text mode and
then invoking startx.

Seems like recent updates fixed that problem and automagically graphical login
is presented now.  This is one of the reasons I use Mageia on my Netbook/Lappy
and not debian. OR Maybe I lack technical skills to fix debian problems due to
philosophy or otherwise :-)

--

Consultant Spirituel
GuRuV!SiON