[PLUG] Exit Of Microsoft from School Education ?

In Car Nation look.kool at guruvision.com
Wed Jun 1 10:49:26 IST 2016

On Wednesday 01 Jun 2016 10:24:19 AM Milind Oka wrote:

Hi,

On 27 may 2016, Maharashtra State Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary
Education has given a reply to my notice. Maharashtra State Board was
neglecting Open Source directives given by MHRD. Though the Circular in this
regard was issued, it was published in the education booklet "Shikshan
Sankraman" !. The circular as Important as this, which could have saved huge
amounts for Schools, must have been given to Schools directly and it must have
been given wide publicity in major news papers.

The Board's claim that by putting a note - "Schools and Colleges can use Open
Source Software" on index page, they have followed directions given by MHRD is
ridiculous. In the remaining pages of the reply, Board has given photocopies
copies of the changes they have made in 2016-17 text books to be printed soon,
and they have clarified further that Open Source can be used in "Theory as well
as in Practicals" which is very important.

Note that MHRD has used the word "PREFER" while Board is cleverly using "CAN"
!

Anyway, I assume that this is only a symbolic exit of Microsoft from State's
Schools Education.

This covers State Schools and Junior Colleges in Maharashtra. But University
Education too is compelling degree colleges to use proprietary software.
Situation is somewhat better in Engineering courses but in the courses such as
Computer Applications (TYBcom), there are softwares like MS Excel and Visual
Basic. Also there are direct questions in the examination on the commands used
in Excel and VB. I am going to send similar letter to Mumbai University too.

Also the course  MS-ACIT has been made mandatory for teachers. This course is
exclusively an advertisement of Microsoft and other other proprietary
software. Since after removing proprietary software from school. This course,
which itself is a violation of MHRD notification, becomes meaningless for
teachers. Hence appropriate changes are necessary in this course curriculum.
We have to follow this matter in Education Department.

I request all to help Schools in Maharashtra aware of the purpose and
significance of this change and make open source movement stronger. Otherwise
it will remain only on paper.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/seufdy593ocbaiu/Notice_To_SSC-HSC_Board.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/view/uccych8u0hnqt6g/Notice_To_SSC-HSC_Board_%28Reply%29.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/download/nouxfd9a1hxnwd4/MHRD_-_Remove_Microsoft.pdf

-- Milind

The task doesn't look very easy.

Microsoft & related noise  has almost died down (at-least on the public
forums), while the fact remains that there are relatively less no. of Linux
capable people available in the market.

While my sentiments here may NOT be direct replica of what is market
condition, the "Paid Service Model" of (Free and) Open Source has NOT evolved
as aggressively as it should, in my opinion.

My study of current market conditions is limited so I am expressing my
sentiments based on what I feel exists for quite some time now.

I still continue to use Linux for my daily work.
--

Consultant Spirituel
GuRuV!SiON