[PLUG] Exit Of Microsoft from School Education ?

Milind Oka oak445 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 11:40:27 IST 2016

You are correct. The task is not at all easy. That is why I say only
symbolic exit of Microsoft.

In schools, the hurdle I noted was fear of schools/parents that direct
questions would be asked in the examination on proprietary software. Now
that this hurdle is removed, at least in State Schools of Maharashtra,
you can convince parents or school managements not to spend money on
acquiring licenses of these products. AFAIK, CBSE curriculum is based on
open source softwares. So one can also request CBSE schools to use FOSS
and not to purchase proprietary products.

I have just installed linux  in the house of one 10th std student by
convincing his parents.

I have also contacted Managements of two schools in Thane. I offered
free help in computerizing result processing for them. (At present they
are doing the work manually). After that I informed them about FOSS and
requested to give two Machines where I would install linux. Work would
be done in libre base giving teachers proper training. Eventually the
school teachers would do the work independently and also can give
training to other schools in their vicinity (if they wish). Of course a
long term plan. There seems no short cut as you have said.

I could get support from 4 more people who are retired and know
computers little bit. Five of us would start this pilot project from
coming academic year.

Eradicating proprietary software from University Curriculum is another
tough task. We need to get directions from UGC or MHRD in this regard.
In  the prestigious Digital India Project, Open Source plays a leading
role (at least on paper !), so one has to exploit it in our favor and
get such directions. Any suggestions in this regard are welcome.
(till then PIL is the only hope where this is one of the prayers !)

You can have your own ideas, perhaps more effective than mine. Please do
share them here.