[PLUG] [OT] Airtel huawei router, what chip is being used ?

shirish शिरीष shirishag75 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 22:43:25 IST 2017

Dear all,

I had a guy from Airtel coming for a visit to my home today. While he
showed the device, it was black in color and had huawei written on it,
I was unable to get the model no. Does anybody know what model it
could be ? More importantly does it have a broadcom chip by any
chance. I ask as broadcom continues to be a pain in the butt to
GNU/Linux users to this date.  I know some of the cheaper routers use
broadcom.

The black box stood on its legs while most D-Link devices sleep

The router had standard LAN port (guess 10 mbps) power connector
socket, another round socket with a wire protuding which I didn't
understand.

Going further, can anybody share their experience if they used/using
airtel and approximate place where they belong. If anybody lives near
Bal Gandharva or J.M. Road it would be more preferable and would be
more relevant experience.

Another thing while the speedtest showed some amazing numbers using
speedtest, I wasn't able to figure out the latency. Can anybody
comment on that ?

One more, has anybody being able to use torrents and tor effectively
with airtel. I do know that airtel does do lot of blockage and
censorship, even good sites once in a while.

I had read few years back that airtel gave private network IP instead
of public dynamic IP like  BSNL and others do, is the situation same ?

Also as the ipv4 stack is getting emptier, is airtel or any other ISP
(local) has started giving/leasing out ipv6 range of addresses to be
used by multiple devices or it's a sill no-no.

Lastly, for FWIW. I didn't have to do any special configuration for
either pinging external site or surfing the web.

Looking forward to know some of the answers.
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com