[PLUG] [OT] Airtel huawei router, what chip is being used ?

Amey Abhyankar sco1984 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 11:40:00 IST 2017

On 15 June 2017 at 22:43, shirish शिरीष <shirishag75 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I had a guy from Airtel coming for a visit to my home today. While he
> showed the device, it was black in color and had huawei written on it,
> I was unable to get the model no. Does anybody know what model it
> could be ?

Are you able to connect & login to the router via
http/https/ssh/telnet/ftp? [to retrieve model number]

>More importantly does it have a broadcom chip by any
> chance. I ask as broadcom continues to be a pain in the butt to
> GNU/Linux users to this date.

You mean range issue with broadcom chip in a broadband router?

> I know some of the cheaper routers use
> broadcom.
>
> The black box stood on its legs while most D-Link devices sleep
>
> The router had standard LAN port (guess 10 mbps) power connector
> socket, another round socket with a wire protuding which I didn't
> understand.

Few years back I was AirTel broadband subscriber.
That time they used to provide connectivity over RJ11 port & Beetel
landline phone.

> Going further, can anybody share their experience if they used/using
> airtel and approximate place where they belong. If anybody lives near
> Bal Gandharva or J.M. Road it would be more preferable and would be
> more relevant experience.

- AirTel *broadband* has limited presence in Pune compare to other players.
- I used AirTel broadband for long duration in Pune & never faced any down time.
- Speed was stable always.
- Even in heavy rain, there was no issue with cable cuts,short circuit
in local DP box etc.

> Another thing while the speedtest showed some amazing numbers using
> speedtest, I wasn't able to figure out the latency. Can anybody
> comment on that ?
>
> One more, has anybody being able to use torrents and tor effectively
> with airtel.

All ISP's in India has blocked most *public* torrent sites.
Private torrent sites are accessible & I get superb download speed but
no uploading doesn't happen i.e. can not maintain ratio :-/
Upload doesn't happen because private IP & 2ndly no leechers from
India within same ISP range like before.

For latency,
Browse non frequent cached sites from Russia,South Korea,South America & Africa.
Probably you can access Debian ftp mirrors in those countries to check
the speed.

Use 'Tor' browser.
It works fine :-)
There are some java based web torrent extensions for 'Tor'.

>I do know that airtel does do lot of blockage and
> censorship, even good sites once in a while.
>
> I had read few years back that airtel gave private network IP instead
> of public dynamic IP like  BSNL and others do, is the situation same ?

Yes it's same.
All ISP's absolutely has blocked public torrent sites as per the order
from court.

> Also as the ipv4 stack is getting emptier, is airtel or any other ISP
> (local) has started giving/leasing out ipv6 range of addresses

*Unfortunately no! Even big companies are still having IPv6 internally
but WAN is on IPv4. [*in Pune city]

Regards,
Amey