[PLUG] How to provision aws AMI using combination of Ansible & boto on Debian 9.x? (Amey Abhyankar)

Amey Abhyankar sco1984 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 14:13:40 IST 2018

On 30 March 2018 at 23:22, Arun Khan <knura9 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 11:07 PM, Amey Abhyankar <sco1984 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks.
>>
>> On 29 March 2018 at 13:40, riturajb1 . <riturajb at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Have worked with boto3 and aws-cli at very basic level - just to launch
>>> instances.
>>> However, why not use ansible vault if you want to keep credentials secret?
>>>
>>> Best Regards
>>> Rituraj
>>
>> For ground level work, I am searching for exact steps on how to use
>> aws keys  + Ansible playbook combination to provision test AMI. :-)
>> I.e. nothing but i) actual file format to save aws keys ii) sample YML
>> file just to provision basic AMI iii) The exact command for Debian 9
>>
>> Lot of Ansible documentation is there but it's not helpful from nomad
>> point of prospective. :-/
>> Attending paid Ansible classroom sessions is the last resort.
>
> Have you tried asking in Ansible forums?  (I'm not an Ansible expert
> but I hear a lot about Ansible / AWS integration)

I posted question at Ansible IRC but no luck.

After doing some research & comparison, I realized Terraform is more
easy than Ansible to provision AMI's on AWS.
2ndly many people suggesting to use Ansible for configuration tool not
to automate vm in cloud.

With that approach, I decided to go with Terraform :-)

Thanks.