[PLUG] Need PDF reader to open password protected pdfs in Ubuntu 16.04

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 11:35:40 IST 2018

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 9:34 PM, Amey Abhyankar <sco1984 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3 April 2018 at 23:44, Dhanesh B. Sabane <dhanesh95 at disroot.org> wrote:
>> At bottom:-
>>
>> On Tuesday 03 April 2018 02:00 PM, Amey Abhyankar wrote:
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> I am looking for PDF reader which can open password protected PDF.
>>> Tried foxit reader, okular,x pdf but not helping.
>>>
>>> Any other alternatives?
>>>

>> I'm a regular user of Evince on both of my machines, one running Fedora
>> and the other running Debian. I have faced no issues in opening up any
>> password protected PDF files.
>
> Finally ....Evince helped me  ^_^
>
> I am able to see the password prompt.
> I took no special efforts.
> Just opened Evince, did browse the PDF & that's it.

Your environment may have some artifacts.  It is indeed strange okular
does not display dialog box to enter password for protected files.
Suggest create a new user,  login as that user and try to open
password protected files.

The built in PDF readers in FF and Chrome also prompt for password if
the file is password protected.

-- Arun Khan