[PLUG] PLUG on the fediverse

Dhanesh B. Sabane dhanesh95 at disroot.org
Sun Apr 22 12:48:25 IST 2018

Aloha pluggies!

The proposal
==============

As the subject line mentions, it is interesting to note that PLUG has no
presence on any of the fediverse platforms. For those who are new to the
term, fediverse = Federated social networks running on FOSS.

I believe that limiting ourselves to only a couple of platforms (where
one of the platforms is a proprietary service) isn't going to help in
getting quality people to come in and share their experiences/ideas.

We have a few options like:

1. Riot/Matrix <http://matrix.org/>
2. diaspora* <https://diasporafoundation.org/>
3. Mastodon <https://joinmastodon.org/>

We have Riot/Matrix and diaspora* services hosted on Indian servers
which we can definitely use.

I had a chat with Dexter yesterday after the PLUG meet and he was open
to creating PLUG's presence on such platforms. However he was concerned
about how these accounts will be handled and the content which will be
shared under PLUG's banner. I completely understand this concern and I'm
ready to take on the responsibility of these accounts and making sure
incorrect content is not shared.

What I request here is everyone's opinion on whether we should go ahead
and increase PLUG's presence on the fediverse or follow the same old
practices.

About IRC and Riot/Matrix integration
======================================

A couple of months ago, we (me, Raju, Gaurav and Kshitij) had requested
for access to the IRC channel so that we can connect it with the
Riot/Matrix room. We didn't get the access because people were against
logging of the chat on IRC. 15 of the total 20 people active on the
channel right now have connected through Riot/Matrix which means the
chats are already being logged on their servers. In any case, we created
another native room over Matrix/Riot and asked everyone to join that
room for better access and control. Note that this is an unofficial fork
of #pluggies on freenode and we'd love to convert this into a plumbed
room and make it official. If anyone would like to join the Riot/Matrix
room, the address is : #pluggies:disroot.org

Alternatively, you can also join the IRC channel through Riot/Matrix.
The address is : #freenode_#pluggies:matrix.org

Regards,

Dhanesh B. Sabane

Website: https://dhanesh95.gitlab.io
Riot/Matrix: @dhanesh95:disroot.org