[PLUG] Debconf 20/21 in India

shirish शिरीष shirishag75 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 11:54:21 IST 2018

at bottom :-

On 07/08/2018, Rigved Rakshit <r.phate at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks everyone for submitting the bid for DebConf in India.
>
> If we are thinking of IIT Mumbai as a venue for DebConf 20, then we need to
> make sure that IIT Mumbai gives us solid WiFi and mobile carrier signals in
> the campus. During the Mini-DebConf there, we had big issues with internet
> connectivity. This is something which we can easily fix with help of
> current students.
>
> We have good volunteer numbers in Pune and Mumbai combined, for on the
> ground support before the event (if it does happen). Also, Mumbai has many
> hotels to accommodate a large contingent and the IIT campus is large enough
> to accommodate multiple parallel tracks. Plus, we have many good
> sightseeing places nearby the city.
>
> Adding Mumbai LUG to CC.

<snipped>

> Best Regards,
> Rigved

Dear Rigved,

That might not be enough. Debian has a dedicated video-team and
livestreams as much as possible. They usually talk about 10 GB
switches.

While they usually quite a bit of their own equipment, they do need
that sort of bandwidth to distribute among all the attendees who need
access to web, the livestream, people coding and uploading code to the
archive.

They also usually have a full or partial mirror, perhaps also a build
server https://wiki.debian.org/DebianWannaBuildInfrastructure so just
having good wifi might not cut it.

They usually bring a few rooted wifi modems which they put across the
campus, the dorms where people are, social place/s where people hang
out etc.

If Debian gives the go-ahead, the team of local volunteers along with
Debian network admins do the needful, this is something we need to
keep in mind.

Although with the movement of Reliance Jio and others towards FFTH
deployments that may not be an issue if we are targeting 2020-2021
whenever we feel we are ready to put a strong bid, although usually
you put the bid once or twice before it's accepted.

          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com