[PLUG] How do AMD Ryzen 2nd gen processors/boards go with Linux

Ravishankar Rajagopalan rravishankar at mail.com
Tue Dec 25 15:23:19 IST 2018

Hi All,

I've been using Ubuntu 14.04LTS on an Intel processor for many years. I
am now looking at building a new machine for software development this
time using an AMD processor instead of Intel - as it looked like cost
effective and yet powerful enough.

I am thinking of using a AMD Ryzen 2nd Generation Processor (mostly AMD
Ryzen 7 2700X or a AMD Ryzen 5 2600X) and an X470 based motherboard
(Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming [but not the Wifi version as it's too
expensive and I don't need the on board Wifi] - based on
https://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/motherboards/best-motherboard-14-reviewed-and-rated-904229
or MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC Motherboard)

Does anyone have experience using this combination or any other AMD
Ryzen 2nd generation systems for software development use? Just wanted
to know if it's OK to go ahead since it's a considerable investment OR
is it safer to stick with Intel based systems? If you have any
recommendations for motherboard-processor that would be great too. Had a
cursory glance at some websites talked about some GCC issues with 1st
gen Ryzen processors. Also one dealer told me that using the newer AMD
processors one needs to install Ubuntu 18, and it won't work with older
Ubuntu versions, any idea how true is this?

Would appreciate an early response. If anyone has experience/knows of
other people's experiences building AMD 2nd gen Ryzen systems using
Linux, kindly share as I plan to order soon.

Thanking in anticipation.

Ravi