[PLUG] Ubuntu 16.04 fails to update DNS IP from DHCP server

Amey Abhyankar sco1984 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 09:39:26 IST 2018

Hello,

Recently I observed, couple of Ubuntu 16.04 workstations are getting
valid IP address from DHCP server but fails to update DNS IP.
I checked /var/log/kern.log but that isn't showing any interesting
error regarding networking part.

My DHCP server is hosted on Cisco SG300-28 28-Port switch.
Everything seems ok at switch side as other Ubuntu,Macbook & Windows
OS users are not facing this issue in same VLAN/network.

For now as a work around I am modifying /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf
and adding 8.8.8.8 DNS.
But again, if the user reboots respective Ubuntu 16.04 workstation,
that change are overwritten by system.

Anybody knows permanent fix for this issue? Thanks.
I did Google and got plenty of results but none of them are working so
far for me.

Regards,
Amey.