[PLUG] Ubuntu 16.04 fails to update DNS IP from DHCP server

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 11:34:28 IST 2018

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 9:10 PM Amey Abhyankar <sco1984 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Recently I observed, couple of Ubuntu 16.04 workstations are getting
> valid IP address from DHCP server but fails to update DNS IP.
> I checked /var/log/kern.log but that isn't showing any interesting
> error regarding networking part.

What is the content of /etc/resolv.conf (soft link file) after boot?
IIRC package 'resolvconf' is part of the Ubuntu base install.
It's possible to configure resolvconf to write specific DNS servers
[a].  I think there are other methods to tell resolvconf to pick up
DNS servers from the DHCP server via Network Manager settings.

[a] https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/128220/how-do-i-set-my-dns-when-resolv-conf-is-being-overwritten

-- Arun Khan